Monday, September 8, 2008

Life Lessons



Months ago, maybe even a year or more I began to pray with my little girl. For awhile we had prayed with her at the dinner table or prayed at bed time but it had not gone beyond that with her.


About a year ago, my very good friend became pregnant. I was in the car and Lillian was riding along in the back when my cell phone rang. It was my friend who had called to say that she thought she might be miscarrying.


When I hung up, Lillian, having overheard the conversation but not understanding the full story said, "Mama, what is wrong with Stephanie? Is she okay?" I considered how to reply to this..."Well, her tummy hurts a little and she is feeling a little sad about that."


Without missing a beat, Lillian said, "Then mama, we should pray for her." This was a moment for me as a mom. I pulled the car over, opened the back door of the van and said, "Lillian, you are exactly right - will you pray first?" She whispered the sweetest prayer.


Oh. She was so right then.


That is so right, now.


When things get rocky, when life turns a different way, when the sadness overwhelms, when sickness takes over. We are called to pray.


It stops me in my tracks and makes me reflect on my own life. Do I stop during my busy days to just pray. To offer thanks to ask for wisdom, to ask for healing, to ask for guidance?


I love that my child is figuring this little life lesson out. That really, WE make it all so complex... "I should be sitting down, or kneeling, or in the right place or at home or...")


No...


God is so clear when He says that we can pray anywhere, for anyone for anything at anytime.



Just the other day, I was making a pot of Grammy's Chicken and Dumpling Soup for my oh, so sick family. I burned my wrist on the edge of the steaming, hot pot. When I pulled away, whincing in pain, precious Lillian says from her perch in the dining room "Mama! What happened? You burned your hand...Let's pray for it." Out of her mouth came the sweetest prayer for healing for my hand.


It is nothing short of what I want my children to learn in life.


Sure, calculus will be important. Of course earth science has it's place. Yes, spelling is a high priority.


But when I think of life lessons - the ones that I want to stick with my children for the rest of their lives this one ranks pretty high up there....


"Lord, continue to teach me how to parent these children you have given us. Continue to reveal your heart and your words through them.."

1 comment:

Sandy said...

You are a FABULOUS Mother!

Beautiful!!